Digital Story Reflection


This video is an informative digital story that teaches high school students to write a persuasive essay for their history class. The video walks students through both the steps of creating an essay and a specific example (the American Revolution). In response to feedback I received, I would liked to clarify that I don't envision this video replacing classroom instruction, but instead I see it as a way to support students when they are outside of class and need a refresher course. I used a new-to-me free video editing program called Da Vinci Resolve to create this video and then I uploaded the final product to YouTube. I recorded 29 separate voice segments and used Creative Commons to search for images that matched with my voice-overs. Then I uploaded each of these in order, finally adding a soundtrack at the end. The last step was to add transitions between the images. I had planned to use WeVideo, another free tool that I am more familiar with, however the downside to WeVideo is that you can only publish five minutes of content each month, which would not have been enough to thoroughly explain the parts of the essay, and I would have had to cut an entire section to make it fit. As a result, there were a few features lacking from my final product that I would have liked to include. For example, I would have liked to make the pictures move to give each segment more visual life. After watching it a few times and getting feedback from my classmates, I also would have liked to include the text to the "essay" that I wrote. I think that if the text had been scrolling over the images while I spoke it, then it might have helped a more visual learner understand what I was saying. I'm not entirely sure how to make this happen in the new program, but I'm sure with more time and work I could make it happen, especially in a future video.

Digital storytelling is really great for students who may need to have a concept reinforced, it's like taking the teacher home with you when you are sitting down to write your essay. In addition, I could see using this tool with students to create their own projects, as the planning and creation process builds both literacy and soft skills. If I were doing a similar project with students, I would certainly pare down the time requirements and the scope of the project so it was more manageable, as this project took me hours to complete and I had to work through several frustrations to make it come together. I might also make a tutorial for how to use the program, or link students to several videos that are already on YouTube. In terms of creating the voice-over, the room needs to be totally silent, so finding the physical space to have students create this in class could be challenging. I might have to have students work in the hallway or reserve another quiet space for a class period so everyone could have an opportunity to get the sound recorded. Please let me know what you think, and if you have any suggestions for potential challenges I might face using this in the classroom and any solutions you might have.



Comments

  1. Awesome video! Writing a persuasive essay it is incredibly tough at the high school level and similarly so at the elementary level. The steps were clear and followed by excellent examples. The video went by quickly because it was not only informative but entertaining as well. Your students must enjoy the fact that their teacher made this video. I would love to use this for my students as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could have used this video when I was in high school! It is very clear and entertaining. For me writing is tough and often a dry subject. But your video and voice helped make it more enjoyable. I can absolutely see how beneficial this will be in your classroom and outside. Think of the students sitting in study hall....they finally get to sit down and begin writing but have no idea where to start. They can simply pull this video up and voila! They have a step by step video walking them through the process. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SPOT ON! Amazing video that is concise and gets the point across. I love your transition words, examples, and directness of this video. Your voice over made the video enjoyable to watch and it was incredibly informative. I would Love to use this video to show students in my school what the expectation is. It can be easily adjusted to any grade level.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also could have definitely used this in high school as writing wasn't my favorite! Having a video to go back to on my own time would have given me the extra push to craft a better essay. Great job explaining and getting the point across to your students.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved this video! In fact as others mentioned - I wish it was there for me when I was in high school. Great job explaining a topic that might be viewed as dry (lol) in an interesting way:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Lani, I wish I had you as a teacher in high school. You really nailed it with this video. Your passion for your work clearly shines through. It is also evident that you want your students to succeed. You don't just teach the subject and then launch them. You are thorough and follow up with excellent suggestions and examples. You definitely have a talent that could benefit others, so perhaps start thinking about sharing your work on TeachersPayTeachers. Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Animoto-Get to Know You

Website Revisited